Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Yarn, ahem, YEAR!


so the knitting mojo is back for 2011, which has kind of inspired (along with the Ravelry thread of the same vein) a number of knitting/yarn related resolutions

- I WILL DEPLETE MY STASH (seriously, it mocks me with it's unhandleableness)
- aforementioned stash will be put on Rav so i actually plan projects without guestimating
- i will make extra things for backup presents with yarn that i'm maybe not so fond of
- there will be no more yarn purchasing until Bendigo (except for the already committed to yarn club and gifts for other people)
- i will wind all my skeins into useable cakes/balls
- colourwork will happen, at least once, even if it's fair isle only and not intarsia, i MUST conquer my fear (all the ends! all the tension issues! all the effort for a possible FAIL)
- i will knit more stuff for me!
- learn to take better photos of yarn and FO, mine SUCK BIG TIME
- knit lots of lace
- knit each project only once in 2011, no double ups (oh god, a whole year without doing a pair of Bella's Mittens, HOW will i cope?)
- start writing up patterns for things I 'make up' 
- knit more, sleep is for wusses

part of the main point for getting serious about my stash is that i absolutely, positively MUST knit the yarn I've owned for longer than 3 years, if I love it, I should use it, IS THAT NOT THE POINT? oh the insanity of 'saving' delicious yarn under my bed, all hidden away and feeling unloved i'm sure and gathering dust and dander and other less-than-delicious alliterative dirty things

somewhere in all this lot i'm also going to try and pick up my cross stitch/embroidery hoops again, although most of them are on the living room wall in my apartment right now! I really miss the simple beauty of a well designed and executed sampler. i need something for the walls in my room. As great as wearable 'art' is, I like the (relative) permanence of cloth and thread, it's like painting, only not messy (hooray!) and since i already have in my possession one of the lovely sets done up by the incomparably talented stitcher Miss Penelope Waits, i have the perfect back on the wagon project just waiting for me!

next entry will have pictures I swear! I've finished Dad's Avast sweater (except the zipper) so there will be pics of that, I've completed another Ripley (this one for me!) and i'm almost done with the semi-matching garter stitch mitts. Might also try and get Aga to send me a photo of her WIP scarf, she sadly had to rip it back as she realised that as much as she loved the idea of a super wide scarf the reality is that that is like $100 of yarn and SO FRIGGGING HEAVY so she's made it thinner and i gave her some slightly bigger than recommended needles and she's flying through. big thanks to Sharon for suggesting teaching her yarn overs so she could work in some eyelet rows, they helped keep the boredom down on her mammoth first scarf effort - no holes! hopefully when she comes to visit in a few weeks we'll be able to cast off and block it :)

so that's all for now, back to pretending i'm working. xox

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love yarn resolutions, with so many knitters yarn dieting we really need the support of each other. Heaven knows it's going to be a long 6 months to Bendigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot- go you!
    also - love the photo you've got up on your header!
    and yay teacups!

    ReplyDelete